Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Merry Holiday

In the spirit of being PC I'd like to wish everybody a merry holiday. May your winter solstice tradition of pagan tree worship be ever decorative, your giving of gifts in the name of Saturnalia be satisfactory, and my receiving of information of secular traditions from wikipedia be exceedingly correct.

But really, merry Christmas everybody. Being inspired by some of the cards we have already received, I'd like to take this time to write my own Christmas card to all of you and seeing as how I didn't eat all last week due to lack of funds, I won't be able to mail my holiday greetings this year (and no, my parents aren't horrible people who denied me money for food, I'm simply too proud to ask for money and like the challenge of making it last until I return home for the winter break).

So, pretend you've just pulled out your sterling silver letter opener, torn open the reeeally fancy envelope and pulled out a beautiful, hand fashioned card that looks and reads like the following:


Hello and merry Christmas!

I can hardly believe that 2011 is coming to an end. It seems like just yesterday I was spending all of my money on gifts for people to better celebrate the birth of Jesus. Ha ha, just kidding! I LOVE giving gifts... what a blessing.
In case you didn't know, I'm studying to be a social worker, a profession in which I will never be able to make back the money my parents are spending on my college tuition.My classes include rigorous course work such as "centering time", play-doh activities, and role playing. As you can guess, good grades are hard to achieve.
Waco really is a wonderful place. Why, this fall semester alone we've only had 5 or 6 armed robberies in our neighborhood. What an improvement over last year! This fall I was given the opportunity to ride my bike in Baylor's homecoming parade (the largest collegiate parade in the nation) through an organization I've joined called Student Foundation. The sororities and fraternities create floats for the parade and enter them in for competition. The winning float, that was displayed for one day before decomposing in the rain outside, was constructed with a mere $60,000 budget. I can't think of a better way to spend such money!
At the end of the spring semester I got my cartilage pierced. A wise decision if I may say so myself. As it turns out, my ears are highly sensitive and it took six months of sharp stabbing pain for me to realize that perhaps it just isn't something for me. Luckily, I will always have the hole in my ear to remind myself that through failure we learn valuable lessons.
With the good however, comes some misfortune. For months I have been having aching neck pain. After entering my symptoms on webmd.com I found out that I had cervical (spine region) spondylosis (arthritis). Imagine, only 20 years old, and already afflicted with arthritis. To be thorough, I decided to get a second opinion and visited our family physician. One round of xrays later and it was revealed that what I had assumed was arthritis of the neck, was actually muscle spasms forcing my spine to become overly arched. Worry not, for I am on muscle relaxers and have been given a set of at-home physical therapy exercises. I expect to be able to look in the general direction of "up" within a few months.
I am excited to begin the year 2012 as a senior in college due to my graduating in December of next year. I look forward to my internship placement at Texas Hunger Initiative, where my father is sure I will be handing out sack lunches. Were it not for such encouragement and support back home, I might not get through. I greatly look forward to the increased work load and likely decline in social interaction.

On that note, I wish all of you the merriest of Christmases and a very happy new year!

In good health,









Kayla Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment