Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Warning. Serious blog post, hopefully to be followed by not as serious blog posts.

Today in my internship seminar we talked about the importance of self care.
Social workers, due to the intensity of their work, often experience compassion fatigue. Basically we hear other people's struggles and problems and pains so often that we begin to exhibit signs of depression because we are not properly handling the excess emotions. We use self care to step back and take time for ourselves to ensure we don't fall prey to this phenomenon. This may mean painting if you're a painter, writing if you're a writer, or baking if you're a baker. I however, am a blogger; a blogger becoming fatigued by an annoyingly busy schedule. Due to said busyness I have convinced myself that I don't have time to blog.

But I LOVE blogging, because even if I'm the only one who reads my posts, in the dark, at night... it still brings me joy. So this is my way of saying, I will be blogging more frequently in order to combat the hectic-ness that has become my life.

I'm blogging to slow down. I'm blogging to be creative. I'm blogging to laugh. I'm blogging to keep my roommates from finding me in fetal position whispering to myself that I just want to give up... because, no matter our major, or line of work, don't we all feel like that sometimes? Whether it's organizing an annual Christmas musical, going through the interview process for acceptance into graduate school, traveling every single week, doing all of the miscellaneous jobs in the office that end up on your plate, or juggling school, work, and an internship, we all experience fatigue and we must all find the joy that counters it.

Let this not be my way of saying that true joy comes from the words I spell out on a webpage. Because when I am captured by the world, I have a God who rescues me and holds me in his hands.

"You will seek me and find me when you seek with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity." Jeremiah 29:13-14

I felt like Doogie Howser the whole time I wrote this. Imagine I was typing it on a blue computer screen and this was playing the whole time (click play button below and reread entire blog post)






No comments:

Post a Comment