Monday, April 23, 2012

Confessions of a lonely would/should be spinster

Sometimes I look at Aaron and I think, "where would I be without him?"

Not in the, "we're desperately in love and I can't imagine a life apart from him and he completes me" kind of way (given), but more in the "I never took the time to make friends and now if he leaves me I'm screwed so I better just do what he says and keep him happy so he never realizes I'm barely hanging on socially" kind of way.

My roommate (and friend.... just the one) had a surprise for me the other night about which she was texting Aaron. I'm paranoid and hate surprises and lack the ability too express adequate emotion when presented with gifts, so naturally I was doing all but water boarding Aaron to get the needed information. I didn't know who, what or when, but I knew someone, something, sometime soon was goin down.

If you don't know Aaron then you don't know that he is the weakest weakling when it comes to keeping secrets. He wants soooo badly to tell me things (because he is so madly in love and head over heals for me) that it usually takes no more than a bat of the ole eyelashes. This night however, he was particularly strong. To throw me off the scent he showed me the recipient list of a group text between my family members that was from a few days prior and told me that's who he was texting.

I read the names "Kelsey, Erin, Tyler, Daddy, Mommy" and my immediate thought (and regrettably outwardly expressed) was "ALL MY FRIENDS!"

Then, having realized what I said, I crawled into a deep dark hole of oblivion and never came out.

You know those people who work dead-end jobs and they're convinced that they were born to be famous? And you think... come on.. it's not going to happen? Well I'm like the opposite of that. I'm in this relationship that keeps me happy and fed and sometimes all I can think is, "I know I'm perfectly content and have more than I could ever want... but I'm pretty sure I was born to be a lonely spinster."

I have so much trouble making new friends  it's a wonder I was able to land a boyfriend. It's like straight out of a movie. Picture a classroom of students:

Teacher: Can anyone name the 7 wonders of the world?
Student:  Stonehenge, the Colosseum, the Catacombs of Kom el Shoqafa, the Great Wall of China, Hagia Sophia, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and the fact that Kayla has a boyfriend.

If I outgrow my cat allergy, I'll know it's time to realize my full unpotential (that's a word right?). 


3 comments:

  1. I think this says it all..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB2gPZRsz0Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly Kayla, you are such a lovely person, you will always have friends. So you can be as mean as you want to Aaron :)

    ReplyDelete